Grant's Woods Nature Reserve
Grant’s Woods is a 21 hectare parcel of upland woods located on Division Road in Severn Township, 3 km west of Orillia. William Grant donated this property to the Conservancy in memory of his brother Jack, who passed away in 2002. The Grant family had owned the property since 1908. A former house on the property has been extensively renovated to create the Conservation Centre with office. Our gazebo and office are wheelchair accessible and the Periwinkle trail is also accessible.
Unique features of this Nature Reserve
- old-growth upland forest has not been logged for over a century
- many large specimens of Hard Maple, White Ash, Red Oak, White Pine, American Beech and Eastern Hemlock
- soil is deep moist clay and sand, ideal for tall, straight, healthy trees
- nesting area for Scarlet Tanagers, Black-throated Green Warblers, Broad-winged Hawk and Pileated Woodpeckers
- Indigo Buntings and Mourning Warblers nest along woodland edges
- in the shade of the forest, Christmas Fern, Maidenhair Fern and many spring wildflowers occur
- small cool streams in shallow ravines collect together to form on the headwaters of the North River
- a network of 4 km looped walking trails has been developed, with connecting footbridges and interpretive stations
This Nature Reserve is an ideal spot for a hike, and also a perfect setting for family, engagement and other photos. For group photos, we ask that the photographer let us know the date and time to ensure we don't run into a conflict. Our parking area can fill up quickly! A donation to help protect the forest is appreciated.
Grant's Woods is also the location of The Couchiching Conservancy's office. Our community room has space for 15 people around our moveable tables. We have a projector screen, a projector which can be reserved, a large white board and access to an accessible washroom and kitchen. The suggested donation for a room booking is $50. Please contact our Administrative Assistant for questions and to book.
Best time to visit: spring for wildflowers, early summer for birds, fall for colourful trees; interpretive trails open year-round, with off-road parking
Address: 1485 Division Road, West, Orillia, ON