Grant Wetland Nature Reserve
Status: Open to the Public, No Trails
Protected: December 12, 1996
Donors: Charles Grant & Kerry Rusk
In 1995, Charles Grant approached the Conservancy with the idea of donating two parcels of wetland owned by his family. Mr. Grant and his sisters Sandra Hamilton and Kerry Rusk transferred 20 acres between Maple Drive and Bay Street in Orillia to the Conservancy in 1996. This property, which is surrounded by residential neighbourhoods, provides an oasis of green within the City of Orillia. The Trans-Canada Trail runs nearby.
Landscape & Species:
- five small streams converge and run through property before discharging into Lake Couchiching
- along the eastern boundary, a band of trees includes black walnut planted by Hugh Grant in 1949, as well as native poplars and willows
- most of the wetland is cattails and wet grassland area mixed with green ash and red osier dogwood
- beaver and muskrat are active in the wetland area
- the Sundial Creek Habitat Project, which includes this area, is dedicated to enhancing brook trout habitat, supported by the Ministry of Natural Resources and the City of Orillia
- the local Rotary Club and the Conservancy’s Volunteer Property management Team constructed a viewing platform - PLEASE NOTE: This platform is closed until further notice
- Osprey nesting platform in centre of wetland, built by volunteers
Visit this Nature Reserve:
Best time to visit: all year
From Orillia, follow fittons road East to Bay Street North; turn left. Grant Wetland is on your right. Look for Conservancy sign.