East Coulson Swamp Reserve
Margaret Atwood donated this special property set within the forested hills of the Oro Moraine to the Nature Conservancy of Canada. An additional 7 hectares were purchased to consolidate a large block of forest habitat around the Reserve by linking to adjacent properties owned by the County of Simcoe and the Orillia Fish and Game Conservation Club.
- part of the East Coulson provincially significant wetland is located within this property
- surrounded by upland forest as well as headwaters for the Coldwater River
- important to the water recharge of the Oro Moraine
- home to forest interior birds such as Scarlet Tanager, Wood thrush and Black-throated Green Warbler
- nesting area for Red-shouldered Hawk
- vernal pools provide ideal conditions for many species of frogs and salamanders
- good diversity of vascular plants and butterflies
Visit this Nature Reserve
Location: From Orillia, take HWY 12 N and turn left onto 15 Line N. Then right onto Bass Lake Side Road. There is a “jog” at 13 Line N (turn left and then right back onto Bass Lake Side Rd). Follow until you come to the closed Line 9 parking area at the side of the road. Park at the big steel gate.