Nature Reserves & Easements
The Couchiching Conservancy helps protect over 13,500 acres of land thanks to supporters like you.
These nature reserves are wild places with inherent risks. It is possible that you may encounter bears, moose, and other wild animals while visiting. Use at your own risk.
The Couchiching Conservancy acknowledges that the land on which it operates is the territory of Haudenosaunee, Anishnaabeg, Wendat and Metis Peoples. This territory is covered by the Upper Canada Treaties.
Nature Reserve Etiquette
Tread lightly while visiting the Nature Reserves for these activities:
Nature appreciation, hiking, photography, snowshoeing, bird watching. Please pack out any garbage.
Keep your dog(s) on leash at all times so everyone can enjoy nature:
This ensures everyone is safe, wildlife are not bothered and that other visitors and the habitat is respected.
leave no trace. the following activities are not allowed on the reserves:
Mountain biking, harvesting and foraging, hunting and trapping, camping, motorized vehicles, paintballing and building shelters and stands.
Always be prepared for the conditions, bring safety items and get to know the Reserves:
Download footpath & trail maps, be prepared for adverse trail conditions.
Nature Reserves with public trails
- Adams Nature Reserve
- Alexander Hope-Smith Nature Reserve
- Cameron Ranch (part of Carden Alvar Provincial Park "CAPP)
- Carthew Bay Nature Reserve
- The Church Woods
- East Coulson Swamp (Owned & Managed by the Nature Conservancy of Canada "NCC")
- Grant's Woods
- Jennett Woods
- The Kris Starr Sanctuary
- Little Bluestem Alvar (NCC)
- North Bear Alvar (NCC)
- Prairie Smoke Alvar (NCC)
- Ron Reid Nature Reserve
- Scout Valley (Conservation Easement with the City of Orillia)
- Thomas C. Agnew Nature Reserve
- Windmill Ranch - Sedge Wren Marsh Trail (CAPP)
Nature Reserves open to the public but without trails
- Grant Wetland Nature Reserve
- Helen M. Butler Nature Reserve
- The John Pitts & Kathleen Milligan Sweetwater Farm Nature Reserve
- McDarker Wetland
- McIssac Wetland
- Prospect Marsh
- The Robert & Emily Fawcett Natural Area
- Roehl Wetland Reserve
- Severn Woodlands (NCC)
- Taylor Nature Reserve
- Waterthrush Woods
- Whitney Wetland
- Wilson's Point Wetland
- Wolf Run Alvar