Nature Reserves & Easements
The Couchiching Conservancy has helped to protect over 13,500 acres of land thanks to supporters like you.
At A Glance:
- Conservancy-owned: 25 nature reserves totaling 3,224 acres.
- Conservation Easement Agreements: 13 easements totaling 2,155 acres.
- Partnerships with The Nature Conservancy of Canada, Ontario Parks, and Ontario Heritage Trust: 12 nature reserves totaling 8,139 acres.
Explore the Nature Reserves & Easements of our region by clicking on the map icons, or go directly to the property description listing below the map. Some have maintained trails and a downloadable trail map, some are open to the public but have no trails, and others have an undisclosed location because they are privately owned easements.
These nature reserves are wild places with inherent risks. It is possible that you may encounter bears, moose, and other wild animals while visiting. Use at your own risk.
The Couchiching Conservancy acknowledges that the land on which it operates is the traditional territory of Haudenosaunee, Anishnaabeg, Wendat and Metis Peoples. This territory is covered by the Upper Canada Treaties.
Nature Reserves with public trails
- Adams Nature Reserve
- Alexander Hope-Smith Nature Reserve
- Cameron Ranch (part of Carden Alvar Provincial Park "CAPP)
- Carthew Bay Nature Reserve
- The Church Woods
- East Coulson Swamp (Owned & Managed by the Nature Conservancy of Canada "NCC")
- Grant's Woods
- Jennett Woods
- The Kris Starr Sanctuary
- Little Bluestem Alvar (NCC)
- North Bear Alvar (NCC)
- Prairie Smoke Alvar (NCC)
- Ron Reid Nature Reserve
- Scout Valley (Conservation Easement with the City of Orillia)
- Thomas C. Agnew Nature Reserve
- Windmill Ranch - Sedge Wren Marsh Trail (CAPP)
Nature Reserves open to the public but without trails
- Grant Wetland Nature Reserve
- Helen M. Butler Nature Reserve
- The John Pitts & Kathleen Milligan Sweetwater Farm Nature Reserve
- McDarker Wetland
- McIssac Wetland
- Prospect Marsh
- The Robert & Emily Fawcett Natural Area
- Roehl Wetland Reserve
- Severn Woodlands (NCC)
- Waterthrush Woods
- Whitney Wetland
- Wilson's Point Wetland
- Wolf Run Alvar
Nature Reserves & Easements not open to the public
- Agnew-Melnyk Easement
- Bluebird Ranch
- Elliott Woods
- Dale Easement
- Deadman Easement
- Ironside - Silk Easement
- Konda/Gamroth Easement
- Larsen Easement
- Leadbeater Easement
- Ling Easement
- McGee Creek/Cranberry Lake (NCC)
- North Bear Alvar (NCC)
- Probst Easement
- Russell Easement
- Turnbull Ranch
- Wilkins Easement
- Williams Easement